Sunday, May 31, 2009

A Man Of Roses & Steel

There I was in the presence of his awed figure..Sitting behind his 17th century desk.. Well dressed and as charming as he can ever be.. A man not only respected and renowned in history but also admired by his enemies to the limit that his enemies hung his picture in their lockers!

A man who loved roses..Yet was a man of steel.. I just looked into his eyes.. And I wanted to ask him a thousand questions..

I gathered up my courage to ask and took a shot..

Me: Why did you have to go in such a way?

He gently smiled and stood heading for the window watching the tree leaves as they flew off the trees..

He: do you see those leaves which are falling off?

I added: Yes..

Feeling that I am not able to get what he’s aiming at, I simply listened to what he had to say..

He: my friend, there are times when things have to happen or have to go. That was my time I had to go.

I replied with an insisting tone: you didn’t.. You could have succeeded in getting away

He smiled even more shaking his shoulder: it is not about survival, it is about honor it is about courage and it is about doing the right thing.

He turned around walking across the room his blue eyes observing everything around him including myself as he waited for my reply and he headed to a comfortable sofa and sat down.

I tried to get back at him I felt like I couldn’t find the right words so I tried anyway..

Me: but …

He interrupted me abruptly: think before you put words in your mouth.. Put yourself in my shoes and walk in them for two minutes

He added: people have came from all over the world to see me even my captured enemies wanted to know where they were to tell their children they’ve seen me.. I was never the type who turns tail and runs never was and never would have been..

He moved towards me and patted me on the shoulder… and smiled, his smile was so gentle, kind and had a special charm..

He added: what I did was what any man with pride would have done..

He headed for the door..

I called him: wait…

He never stopped and added as he walked: its time..

Before I could realize anything a voice interrupted me : Sir it is time for us to close..

I was going to reply but then looked around me at the empty place.. And then realized here I was standing in front of his portrait..

A great commander.. a true leader a true man: He was called the fox, he was Erwin Rommel..

No comments:

Post a Comment